AP® Government and Politics Redesign Toolkit
Did you know that AP® US Government Redesign
Covers 5 units instead of 6?
Contains a capstone project?
Focuses on 15 landmark Supreme Court Cases?
Features Multiple choice exam questions with only 4 possible answers instead of 5?
Contains 4 FRQ questions, two of which are responses to visual stimuli (think- class starters!!!), one of which is an argumentation essay?
We know GoPo! And our redesigned and updated GoPo Pro toolkit will get you and your students AP® Government redesign-ready!
I’ve poured over 20 years of experience as an AP® teacher, AP® exam reader, AP® consultant, and teacher trainer into these engaging, creative, and rigorous materials which will challenge and delight your students, giving them the skills and knowledge for GoPo success!
We’ve updated our AP® US Government and Politics Redesign Toolkit to align with the newly redesigned AP® Government and Politics course and exam - to give you all the lessons, materials, reviews, and tests for success on the AP® US Government and Politics.
Our toolkit includes
- A Pacing guide and calendar to guide you through the redesign in one easy to follow download.
- Fantastic lessons, reviews, and exams for every single day of the school year that will help your kids develop the knowledge and skills for success on the 2019 Redesigned AP® Exam.
- Exclusive access to tons of online redesign material including all the redesign’s Foundational Documents including newly added primary source documents and Supreme Court Cases for the 2018 exam such as: Letter From The Birmingham Jail, Federalist Paper no. 51, and great inquiry based resources on Landmark Supreme Court Cases like US v Lopez, Engel v Vitale, and many more.
- Great graphic organizers like our SCOTUS landmark cases brackets! Powers of Congress Scavenger Hunt and Checks and Balances graphic organizer.
- Rigorous and Creative unit projects (assignments, rubrics, assessments, and step-by-step guides) to prepare kids for the AP® Government redesign capstone project.
- Access to GoPo pro redesign online content! Including our redesigned daily class starters to help students hone their visual-analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Fabulous Fishbowls which help students hone the argumentation skills they will need for the brand-new FRQ!
- Test-prep tools for success on the redesigned exam:
- Understanding the new FRQ.
- Writing the new argumentation essay.
- Attacking the redesigned multiple choice section.
- A complete AP® redesign test bank with a full-length exam and all 5 unit tests.
- Our exclusive student review guide.
Redesigned Course Content*
We cover the 5 units of the redesign
- Unit 1 Constitutional Democracy
- Unit 2 Interaction Among Branches
- Unit 3 Political Culture and Beliefs
- Unit 4 Political Participation
- Unit 5 Civil Liberties, Civil Rights
Redesigned Exam Format*
We get you ready for the new format of the AP® GoPo Exam
Section I: 70 multiple-choice questions (70 minutes)
Greater use of scenarios and stimulus material
Four, instead of five, possible responses (A, B, C, D)
Section II: Four free-response questions (1 hour and 40 minutes)
- Concept Application: Respond to a political scenario, explaining how it relates to a political institution, behavior, or process
- Quantitative Analysis: Analyze quantitative data, identify a trend or pattern, draw a conclusion for the visual representation, and explain how it relates to a political institution, behavior, or process
- SCOTUS Comparison: Compare a nonrequired Supreme Court case with a required Supreme Court case, explaining how information from the required case is relevant to that in the nonrequired one
- Argument Essay: Develop an argument in the form of an essay, using evidence from one or more required foundational documents
Get ready for the 2018 AP® US Government and Politics redesign with our totally updated GoPo Pro Toolkit!
Take a sneak peak at these great resources from the redesigned toolkit!
Online Password: Redesignready
And take our online redesign practice test!
And in June, 2018, with your toolkit, you'll get full access to our entire redesign materials with Password: Redesignready
Here are two sample questions from the redesigned AP® Government Exam:
Here are the 15 cases you need to know and teach…
Marbury v. Madison (1803)
McCulloch v Maryland (1819)
Schenck v. United States (1919)
Here are the foundational documents you need to teach
The Declaration of Independence
The Articles of Confederation
Letter from a Birmingham Jail
I'll be offering Redesign Training this summer at the following locations.
6/11 Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
6/18 Davidson College, Davidson, NC
6/25 Auburn University, Auburn, AL
7/9 Maryville College, Maryville, TN
7/16 College of William and Mary (session 1), Williamsburg, VA
7/23 University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA
7/30 College of William and Mary (session 3), Williamsburg, VA
AP® Government and Politics Redesign Overview
This summer I'll be offering engaging and rigorous AP GoPo training at Wake Forest University (June 11-15 - go Deacs), Davidson College (June 18-22 - Steph Curry slept here), Auburn, Alabama (June 25-28 - Roy Moore, here I come!) Maryville College (July 9-12 - Tennessee you later) William & Mary APSI Session 1 (July 16-19 - hello Chancellor Robert M. Gates), University of California San Diego (July 23-26 - AP By The Sea), and William & Mary APSI Session 3 (July 30-August 2 - farewell Virginia). And if you can't make any APSI, I also offer direct US GoPo coaching and support to teachers and districts to build student success on the AP® Exam!
My curriculum is fully aligned for success with the AP® Government and Politics Redesign.
The AP® Government and Politics redesign is guided by five basic principles:
1-Command of the constitution is the touchstone for informed citizenship and scholarship.
2-Students are not spectators but analysts, they must analyze the documents and debates that formed our republic and animate public life today.
3-Knowledge matters: we define a focused body of shared knowledge while leaving room for the variety of state standards and the imagination of individual teachers.
4-We can’t avoid difficult topics but we can insist on a principled attention to the best arguments on both sides as students read and write.
5-Civic knowledge is every student’s right and responsibility.
All of these principles are embedded in our curriculum and central to our mission of civic education.
There are five political science skills and practices that are central to the AP® Government and Politics redesigned course, which students will be expected to master for the exam:
Skill 1: Describe and explain constitutional and political institutions principles, processes, models, and beliefs.
Skill 2: Explain connections among political behaviors, institutions, beliefs and cultural factors
Skill 3: Read, analyze and interpret quantitative data to draw conclusions about political principles processes behaviors and outcomes.
Skill 4: Read, analyze and interpret qualitative sources.
Skill 5: Develop an argument about political principles, processes, behaviors and outcomes.
My flipped classroom and rigorous analytical approach to engaging resources help students master all five essential political science skills.
Skill 1: Students analyze rich resources including a deep dive into primary sources to make connections across the US politics curriculum.
Skill 2: Inquiry based learning creates a web of knowledge and student understanding across the curriculum
Skill 3: Students achieve visual literacy through our analysis of visual data in our daily class starters
Skill 4: Journal reviews connecting current events to curriculum lead to lively debates, discussion, and an open Socratic classroom building analytical and interpretive skills.
Skill 5: Our fishbowl method of research based argumentation turns students from spectator to participant
These skills not only lead to fantastic results on the AP® exam, but more importantly, create lifelong citizen scholars.
AP ® is a trademark registered by the College Board, which is not affiliated with, and does not endorse, this site or product.